[Dailydrool] Time between meals and exercise

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 5 08:46:03 PDT 2013

Hi Kalli,

I have been told that dogs need to rest after eating.  We have a mandated nap
time at our house and the dogs know it.  Even though I don't crate, I enforce
nap time.  After they eat they go potty and after that they all go lay down and
nap for 45 minutes to an hour.  Snoopy is allowed to chew on a squeaky toy while
he "naps" because he simply must, but he has to lay still while he does it.  The
girls will lay very nicely on the couch butt to butt and Snoopy is usually on
the ottoman squeaking for all he's worth but he's still.

I have heard about dogs at the dog park that bloated after drinking too much
WATER and then went back to running around so you really have to be careful.

I have also been told that you shouldn't feed a dog who has just been exercising
for the same reasons you shouldn't let them exercise right after.

My dogs eat at 5:30 AM.  So I could walk them at 6:30 AM but I don't.  They eat
again at 5:30 PM and I usually walk them after I eat, around 7 to 7:30.

Good luck and happy walking,
Dale