[Dailydrool] fostering Line

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 26 08:57:33 PDT 2013

Hi all, it's Dale here.

I have been able to help a couple of folks understand they can foster.  The line GGBR uses is:

"Do you have room at the end of your couch?"

The thing many people don't understand is that not all foster parents need to deal with a train wreck/abused/neglected/shelter dog.  Many, many dogs are 6-8 year old healthy, house trained, friendly dogs whos parents are getting a divorce or loosing the house or passing away or moving into assisted living.  Often it is a matter of KEEPING the dog healthy and house trained and friendly until a new family can be found for them.  MANY people are willing and able to take in these dogs as fosters, but they don't know the need is out there.

Interestingly I always go for the train wrecks because I can bring these shut down, sad sorrowful souls out and get them to prance and play and enjoy life and it means everything to me.  However, many people can't deal with all the heartbreak and hard work.

Some foster dogs will walk into your home and lay right down on a dog bed and act like they have been there all their lives.  And for many more, after 3 days, it's like no extra work at all.  People need help to realize that.

Good luck,
Dale