[Dailydrool] thunderstorms

Sue And David Autry sautry at cfl.rr.com
Sun Jun 30 14:12:58 PDT 2013

About the summer storm patterns.

 Two of our 3 are terrified of storms.  I do use the natural supplements
with Chamomile, Valerian root, ginger, ltryptophan, etc.  Several brands are
available and help "a very little" but do decrease the secretions, pacing
and anxious behaviors.  As Bev said, they must be given in ADVNCE OF THE
STORMS, at least an hour before the storms begin.  I just watch the weather
predictions closely and in Florida, we often have afternoon storms.  I check
the radar at noon each day.

I  bought the thundershirt when it first came out years ago.  Tilly loved
it, but now, for some reason she will not let me put it on.  Instead, I use
old T-shirts.  I put one on each dog and they keep them on until the storms
pass.  I also play the radio or TV during the day. To block the noise at
night, I have a little place in front of the shower, where I place a dog
bed.  I turn on the vent fan in there.  Because it is a very small area,
Tilly, feels safe there, and goes there at night when it is storming.  I sit
with her a few minutes and she is right off to sleep.  Back to bed I go.  I
also have a single fan for the bath area.  And I also put that on at night
during storms.  If the others are asleep, they do not wake up.

In day time storms, Phoebe is also afraid, something new at age 4 years.
She goes into one of the crates I have up in the laundry room.  I have 2
regular crates and one soft crate in there.  Or, she hides behind the
furniture.

I do not like the electric storms myself.  I probably started the fear!!

Sue to the Triplets