[Dailydrool] Loose dogs and protection

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 03:44:11 PST 2013

Go to the nearest farm store or tack store where they sell horse equipment
and buy a riding crop. They're about two feet long and have a handle, are
braided leather with a popper at the end. There is a loop that goes around
your wrist and they usually are well under $10.
Carry it everywhere that you take the dogs.
It means you have to let the attacking dog get close but boy lemme tell
you, a good whack across the nose with one of those will really help, plus
it makes a popping noise. I am not sure about pits but any other dog it
will definitely make them think whether they want to fool around with you
anymore.'
As to the mace or any other spray while you stand a good chance of at least
suffering blow-back, having to treat your dog for pepperspray is a lot
better than having to have the pieces stitched back together.
ALWAYS CARRY YOUR CELL PHONE, always always always and have it where you
can reach it,dial 911 and drop it into your pocket to deal with the
dogs,leaving it on.
I have found it is almost impossible to control more than one Basset at a
time during an emergency on a walk. Two are just too strong for me. Sadly,
my boys go one at a time. Which means someone usually doesn't get a walk
because my knees and hips cannot do four walks a couple of times a day.
One more suggestion.
It is sometimes effective (SOMETIMES) to meet the problem head on, stepping
forward,flapping your arms, bellowing in a low, loud, growly tone. You have
to believe this will work. Make yourself huge, stand on tiptoe, spread your
arms, advance, advance roaring, kicking at them. It may backfire, but it is
in my opinion better than doing nothing. And if you end up having to defend
your dogs, kick kick kick and aim for the belly and the neck-- the soft
spots-- don't worry about hurting the attacker. You didn't start it.
If this sounds cold and cruel, sorry. Been there, done that MORE THAN ONCE.
It has made me very dedicated about protecting my dogs and myself.
MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Doc