[Dailydrool] Bo back home again

Valerie vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 7 19:28:37 PST 2013

thank you for the Drool for Bo. we think it has worked (though the veterinary diagnosis is 'we don't know what the problem was, but he seems to be better again' , lol)
  and he does. there are a few test results still pending, but there were no masses or obstructions on x-ray, and he did not bloat, and those were the leading fears this morning.
  There were a couple of not quite normalities on x-rays, which led to a couple of exotic theories:
  1. He ate something he shouldn't have. (Food in his stomach that should have been digested already but wasn't and didn't; and gas in his stomach and intestines)
  2. A wandering bladder....well, the vet didn't quite call it that. I'm thinking back to the early days of psychiatry when doctors thought cases of 'hysteria' were caused by women's uterus' wandering around their bodies. actually, in Bo's case, he has this hernia alongside his tailpipe which has had two unsuccessful repairs. The vet thinks that as Bo's intestines fill up prior to evacuation, they displace his bladder into the hernia a little, causing both the frequent urination he has and a partial blockage of his pooping itself. (I need to massage the hernia to help him poop). the vet thinks this morning the bladder may have been pinched a little. Once Bo poops, the vet thinks the bladder slides more or less back where it is supposed to be (but not entirely, which showed up on X-ray). so the solution is to double up Bo's meds for a week, and then try a third hernia repair, which if successful, might actually solve Bo's peeing and pooping problems (though not his ulcerative colitis.
  the vet summarized, "my, he's a challenge, isn't he?
  so....thank you again for the Drool, and fingers crossed. Semper fido, Val