[Dailydrool] Food For Thought----

basetsavr5 at aol.com basetsavr5 at aol.com
Fri Mar 8 14:47:25 PST 2013

Momma here--and oh gosh, dog food. and I sure am no expert, but every weekend, I drag out the huge pots and make the dog food. Now, I have this down to a science after all these years-(Elwood still grumbles about squash) and like Cheryl said-I know what they get. Dollie is on all homemade, and the others are about 50/50-with homemade and kibble mixed in. I too make treats and use children's animal crackers for treats also. Lets face it-have you ever seen a recall on children's animal cookies?
But with that being said-several years ago I had a very informative discussion with the lady that owns a specialty dog food store here in town. She is also a dog food guru-----
I asked her point blank-what do YOU feed your dogs? She said, I never feed the same thing-this mixed with that, a couple weeks of that, then this one-why I was aghast-I said what about stomach upset???? She said they have no belly issues, I mix it up because you never know in this day and age what dog food is the next one for a recall, this way, they don't have all of one kind in the system, a change is easier to make if we need to, and the chances of several being recalled at the same time are slim. I really stopped and thought about that. What she said is so true, and here at the Beach we do mix up the kibble-just in case. I have learned to read dog food ingredients, check makers and I am on several lists for recall notices. It has become a must.

Elder Clara lived to 16 1/2--she had not had kibble her last several years. I always felt it had a lot to do with her long life.
Whatever you feed, do your homework-cause dog food sure aint what it used to be!

Drool to all in need

Debbie Winchester
PW, OEBE Elder Clara,
Elder Sister Daisy, Brudder Jake