[Dailydrool] kibble ect.

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 8 15:35:05 PST 2013

Dale wrote >>>"I feed blue (lamb/rice) and my dogs are fine.? I had my eye on honest kitchen
but they DID have a recall recently.? I am almost, but not quite, ready to agree
with Angelika and hang up the kibble scoop and start cooking for my hounds."<<<

It's been nearly a year since I tossed out the scoop along with the kibble. All three hounds are doing well. After a long and sedentary winter all of them have put on a couple of pounds ( ok the one that really needs to gain only put on one pound, the other two 3 and 4 pounds each). I searched and read reviews and thought perhaps I would get a decent weight management kibble just until they lose the weight. I came up with Premium Edge kibble. Ingredients are decent. Then I found out it was made by Diamond and that effectively and immediately strikes it off my list.
I really don't need kibble, I just need to be better about serving sizes and am now using strict measurements, no more eyeballing it.
I was amazed at the cost of kibble~ can't recall what it cost a year ago, nor how long a bag would last me. Then I added up just what it cost me this week for meat (almost 3# a day) and veg ( a spoonful at each meal). And cottage cheese (a spoonful with dinner) and eggs ( 1 each a few times a week) . Add green beans ( 2 cans a day)- and kibble is starting to sound really cheap. I'm certain a bag must last longer than a week- even for three hounds.
And then I remembered the scare last year when I found out I was feeding recalled kibble. How much Elvis has been through and the girls- how lucky I am to have them~ and I am sticking with the way things are now. Maybe someday when they use and can tell us that they use- human grade meats and no junk in kibble I will rethink it.
I started cooking all meat a week or so ago- Elvis was having ahemm... we will call it digestive issues ( you don't want to know...) and it appears that he can hamdle the cooked meat much better than raw now. The girls still get bones ( Elvis can't chew most bones anymore except for pork ribs and the smaller chicken bones.)
Peanut says she is staaaving no matter what I feed her...
byw- chicken has less calories than beef for the person that mentioned needing weight loss but was using meat as a 'topper' on their hounds' bowl.
droolies, Angelika