[Dailydrool] Treats & ASTT check-in

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Mon Mar 11 15:01:38 PDT 2013

Treats:  The boys take their treats very gentle. I make them sit, and
then give it to them; if they snap at it I pull it back and tell them
"NO" in a growling voice then "Easy" and reattempt...if they snap at the
treat again it is not given to them and put back into the bag.   I
started this when they were buppies and now they are perfect gentlemen
with treats.   And for the record I only had to put a treat back in the
bag once.  Bassets are fast learners when it comes to treats. LOL

Heart healing drool to all of whose beloved hounds have made the journey
to the rainbow bridge.  May they live forever in the magic of your
memories.  Healing drool to all of those hounds and humans that are sick
or injured.  We hope that all are feeling better real soon.

The boys are both doing well.  Colt tweaked his back at the first of the
month.  He was acting weird on Friday after I got home from work,
wouldn't jump up the couch...just stand in front of it and stare at it.
He wasn't limping just moving very slowly and he just seemed off.  I
examined him and couldn't find anything. So decided to give a baby
aspirin and bring the guest dog bed into the living room for him to lie
on and be comfortable. Saturday same thing, wasn't any worse but didn't
seem any better so I examined him and found a tender spot mid spine.  It
was also warm to the touch and the surrounding area wasn't.  So I pulled
out the adult aspirin and gave him one twice a day until I could get him
to the vet on Monday.  However, if he seemed to be in more pain then
just minor, or if he would have quit eating or he seemed to get worse,
Colt and my wallet would have made the trip to the Emergency Vet. Monday
he seemed to feel a little better but still wanted Doc B to give him a
once over to make sure that I wasn't missing anything. Doc confirmed my
diagnosis of a minor back tweak and said he wanted him on kennel rest
for 3 weeks, rimadyl for no less than 3 days, 7 days if needed and gave
us some muscle relaxers if needed.  By Tuesday afternoon Colt was back
to his goofy self and it has been a challenge to keep him down to a dull
roar.  So now he is off all the pain meds and 1 week into his 3 weeks of
rest.  Doc also wanted both hounds to start on glucosamine and
chrondriton supplement...which I had already started them on about a
month ago with Triple Joint Max (at Dale & Snoopys suggestion)  Maybe
that kept his tweak from being anything more serious?  We had originally
started them on the Triple Joint Max because like Snoopy, Ruger has a
crooked front leg, and he will be 5 in June.  So we wanted to try to
prevent any arthritis or joint issues if possible.  I bought them the
TJM treats hoping to give them as treats, but Ruger won't eat them.  He
will however eat them if cut into tiny pieces in his food. I might try
the granules next time I purchase them.   Colt is a hoover and therefore
will eat them any way he can get them.  Lettuce and strawberries are the
only things that I have found that that hound won't eat...that and
heartworm & flea prevention chewables.

Hope everyone has a good week
Happy St. Patricks Day if I don't post again before then.
Michele Momma to the Bad A** Basset Brothers
Colt aka Hoover "Someone has to vacuum the floors around this place"
Ruger "He's an animal!!!"