[Dailydrool] Allergies

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Mon Mar 11 15:02:02 PDT 2013

Both Colt and Ruger have a contact allergy in the summertime.  There is
something in my backyard that when the weather gets warm and the
humidity goes up gives the boyz red, bumpy tummies that will  turn to
whelps to just pure angriness and Ruger usually gets it worse than Colt
does.  This is what I do for them.  Backyard time is limited, Ruger has
to wear a boyz size 5 or 7 t-shirt to help protect his belly.  Once they
come in the shirt comes off, and they are wiped down with a cool wet
cloth. This is 70% of the battle.   Normally after just a few minutes
outside their bellies will turn from healthy pink color to angry red.
As I wipe the belly down, I can watch the redness go back to pink. I
will dry them and powder them with Gold Bond powder.  They also get a
Zyrtec tablet once a day and that will control the allergies.  However
usually in the heat of summer it won't control Ruger so we have to pull
out the big gun...Dr. B has him on 50mg of Atopica and Metronidazole.
So far this winter it has been fairly warm here, so both hounds and the
momma have stayed on the zyrtec. Hopefully we will move to Indiana
before we have to go to Atopica...Hopefully the boyz won't have any
allergy issues up there.   I don't like using Prednisone when things get
bad.  Hydroxizine turned them into zombies...didn't like that either.
Both do well with Zyrtec; No zombie dogs, or peeing like race horses
(like on pred.).   I also have the boyz on a grain free food. Taste of
the Wild Wetlands formula...yes I know that TW had a food recall last
year.  But after conferring with my vet I decided to stay with them
because they pulled their product voluntarily and shut down production
to scrub down their plant. No dogs got sick; they found trace salmonella
from random testing and then pulled that lot number back and offered
full refunds on the recalled bags.  And when you deal with chicken,
there is always a chance of contamination...even if you buy it
yourselves and cook it yourself for your dogs.  When it comes to food or
treats for the dogs I try very hard to only buy made in the USA...Have
to watch out for manufactured for____.  I do make the boyz chicken and
liver jerky treats (bought a $175.00 dehydrator just for them) and
sometimes I bake them dog cookies.    Also I try to use all natural
cleaners around the house this is also in part to Ruger having a history
of seizures. I try to make a big portion of their treats fruits and
veggies. (green beans, spinach, pumpkin,(which is also added to their
food) apples, sweet peppers, sweet tater chips (dehydrated), asparagus,
carrots, etc) This is just what I do in order to keep my hounds happy,
healthy and safe.  I would love to be able to cook for them, but with
working full time I am just not able to pull that one off.  Maybe when I
retire I will be able to do this for them.  I do cook them burger or
chicken and rice when they are sick...wish I could do it all the time.
Just my 2 cents...might be worth that.

Marlene, the best way that I found crunch up the sweet potatoes is in my
Excalibur dehydrator for 12-14 hours, and then put in a ziplock bag.
Here in Florida I sometimes have to put them back on the dehydrator
after a few days due to the high humidity here in Florida will soften
them back up.

Hope this was helpful to a few of you.
Momma to the Bad A$$ Basset Brothers...who is always trying hard and
looking for new and better ways to take the best care possible for the
brothers.