[Dailydrool] Homemade Food

Karen Muchmore mom2jaxson at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 12 08:58:29 PDT 2013

Rebecca,

I have had my dogs on homemade food for almost a year now.  In the morning, they eat Blue Buffalo since preparation takes awhile, and I don't want to work that hard at 6:00AM.

My food varies slightly based on what is on sale, but I make 25 batches at a time for two dogs.  I began with one persons recipe and added and subtracted as I felt necessary.

The food consists of brown rice, chicken, turkey, beef, fish and/or beef liver.  I've found dicing the meat ahead of time and freezing it cuts down on actual prep time when all the bowls are empty.  I then add  a combination of sweet potatoes or yams, beets, carrots, green beans, parsnips, spinach, peas, corn, zucchini, or squash.

Dinner is topped off with a hard-boiled egg.

I also add Jax seizures medication (but not to the mix), a multivitamin, cranberry tablets (for my girl who has bladder problems), milk thistle (to help with the Pheno Jax takes), Fortiflora, and Stop-Eating Poop (SEP).

The SEP is due to the fact that some of the veggies don't digest totally and they see supper laying out in the yard and want to go at it again.

Both my dogs are healthy, although my vet would like to see Jax weigh a little more.  He is VERY active, so I have increased the Blue Buffalo side of things.

Hope this helps.

Karen. mom to Jax and Aki