[Dailydrool] The Newbie

basetsavr5 at aol.com basetsavr5 at aol.com
Mon Mar 18 10:36:19 PDT 2013

Momma here, and as always, Drool to all in need----
I thought I would give a Dollie update, she has been here about 3 weeks or so now and we are all getting settled. I think the big issue is what her noises mean. With all the others, I know them well enough that I know what this bark means, or that moan, but when you add a new one, learning all those sounds take time!!! Dollie has discovered the toy box and she loves the toys. I came down stairs last week to find every toy on the floor, down the hall, in the yard, and the toy box upside down in the middle of the floor. Here was my 9 year young senior standing in the middle of the mess, tail going like crazy. The next day, I was in the kitchen heating some lunch, Elwood was right there by me and I heard all the noise and commotion in the living room and thought Bess and Dollie were playing. Then I heard a sharp, nasty growl--whoa-a bit harsh there-I yelled HEY---lets hold it down girls!!! About that time, here came Bess in the dog door, so I go and look, here was Dollie, she was having a argument with a toy. For a 9 year old, this gal rolls thru life like a puppy.
Dollie has also decided that Bess needs a guiding paw. You find them together, shoulder to shoulder, and we are hoping that Dollie will help Bessie shed some of her fears of being a mill dog. Bess is the most abused hound we have ever had, and it has now been 16 months here and she is still terrified of people, and a host of other things. I think Dollie knows this and watches her pretty close.
Dollie is also a sitter-upper. I was handing out some crackers and I turned around and here she was sittin up as pretty as you please. I about swooned, I worry about back issues, but then as we all know, I am a professional worry wart about these hounds.

Brudder Elwoods take on having a new senior-she is okay as long as she is sleeping. Bess still cuts him no slack.
Brudder Jake---well he is still Jake. He thinks the woman hounds are a true annoyance, but Jake has a different outlook on a lot of things. I had him to the vet last week to have his blood pressure checked, adding Dollie was a stresser, but it was perfect, so the meds will stay the same!!! He was a good boy and I love that huge hunk of hound, and he even has lost another 2 pounds.

So that's it from the Beach, which is cold rainy and had sleet this morning-I am out working in this stuff as the hounds are warm and snoozing----

Debbie Winchester
PW, OEBE Elder Clara,
Elder Sister Daisy, Brudder Jake