[Dailydrool] food allergies and dehydrating fish

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 06:13:33 PDT 2013

Pam,
A fair number of dogs are allergic to barley.  Food allergies can cause
loose stools.  This is true in humans and dogs.  All you can do is
eliminate the barley and see if it solves your problem.  Then you can
reintroduce it and see if your problem comes back.  Then you know if you
found the culprit.

As for fish in the dehydrator, I have never tried it.  I will say that I
tend to put all my meat based treats in snack size bags and I freeze all of
the bags in a bigger freezer bag.  I only keep one bag out at a time, but I
don't refrigerate it.  I have not done a lot with potato because Beauford
and Bugsey are SO allergic to potato and Blitzen ATB was so allergic as
well.  When I make snacks, I try to make them so that all three dogs can
eat them.  That way the DH can feed treats and not worry about screwing up.
 You might try mixing fish with instant mashed potatoes and then use a
scoop so they are all the same size and flatten them.  I would use water
based canned fish and not drain it.  I don't know how it will turn out for
sure, but that is what I would try.

That reminds me, when I am reading dog treat recipes, there are a few
substitutions that work very well.  Whenever I see cornmeal, I just
substitute millet.  If I can't find millet flour, I just run the millet
through the coffee grinder.  Bugsey is allergic to oatmeal, so I use rye
flakes.  You can substitute just about any flour for the wheat.  If you use
a rice based gluten free blend (I use Namaste) it needs to have xanthum gum
and you will need to add 10 minutes to the baking time.  You will also have
to use a little common sense.  It needs to sort of look like cookie dough.
 If it doesn't, add more water or flour until it does.  If I need to get
rid of eggs, I add an extra quarter cup of pumpkin, applesauce or banana
for each egg.  I substitute pumpkin for carrots.  Believe it or not, I have
had three dogs allergic to carrots and I am allergic to carrots.  If you
have a dog allergic to flax, just omit the flax.  It usually is just a
tablespoon or two and no big deal.

I then cover two big pans with parchment paper.  I cut my dough in half and
put one half on each sheet.  Then I take waxed paper and a rolling pin and
roll out the dough directly into the pan.  Then I take a pizza cutter and
cut the dough into the sizes I want.  When you are working with alternative
flours, you sometimes have (usually) have more problems getting the stuff
to roll out and cut out.  I do this not just to eliminate that, but I hate
cutting out cookies.  I haven't noticed a difference in the excitement with
which the dogs eat the treats.

I have not worked with any of the bean flours yet.  That is something I
will try to branch out into once my stupid foot is healed and I can stand
longer.  If you are wondering where on earth I get the ingredients, my
sister tells me all this stuff is readily available at any Whole Foods
Grocery store.  I live in the sticks and it is 2.5 hours to the nearest
Whole Foods.  I order all of my stuff on Amazon.  The disadvantage is that
you usually have to buy multiple packages.  This really isn't a big deal
for me because I have plenty of storage.  I try to use mostly stuff that I
can eat too, but that doesn't always work out either.  Health food stores
have this as well.  No, this is not anywhere as cheap as a lot of treats
you can buy in the store.   I can't buy cookies in the store for my guys.
 So I have to make them or they do without.  They most certainly wouldn't
die without them, but I think we all know that the best way to get a basset
to do anything is to ask if they want a treat or a cookie.  :)

Jennifer, momslave to Beauford, Bugsey and Browyn the Fairy Princess--we
live to sit by the oven and get them warm!