[Dailydrool] anxiety poop and pee

Tonya Fisher tonyamfisher at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 27 12:43:23 PDT 2013

Good grief, please...tell me there's hope!  Here's the scoop.  We have a basset puppy (Paisley) who's about 4 1/2 months old.  We adopted her from a shelter at 10 weeks.  We don't know any of her background other than the woman who dropped her off at the shelter said they just couldn't deal with her anymore.  Our (the hubby and I) plan was to have her sleep nights in her crate, since we also have a male basset (Budner, almost 2) that already sleeps with us, and it's pretty darn crowded already.  Well, that first night, she started screeching about 3 hours in.  We figured she might fuss, so we ignored her as best we could.  3 hours later, the hubby, who went to get ready for work, came back to the bedroom to tell me the puppy was not only, of course, awake, but covered with poop.
I made up my mind quite quickly as I was cleaning both puppy and crate, that I was too old for this to become part of my morning routine, especially since she kept us up most of the night.  So, she won.  She sleeps with us.
I work from home, so I'm here most of the time.  I've made sure since we've had her to leave her in the crate alone every day for a few minutes at a time to get her used to being by herself...you know, like the books all say to do...and I've slowly built up the time she's in there.  I make no big deal when I return...again, like the books advise.  I leave her home now when I run errands, etc.  I'd say the longest stretch she's been in there is a little under an hour.  Budner is there (uncrated) in the same room with her while I'm gone.
Well she poops.  She pees.  Sometimes within a couple of minutes of me leaving the room.  She usually poops before I even make it out the door, despite having just been outside before she was put in the crate, so I'm pretty sure it's stress related.  I can't even put her in there long enough to take care of some laundry upstairs without her doing this.  She knows the lay of the land, here.  She knows I'm home, just out of sight.
I'm trying not to take this personally.  I know she's not spiteful...at least I don't think she is.  This hound is wearing me out.  No need for alarm, though.  She's part of the family, and she's not going anywhere.  I'm just hoping someone has advice on this.  The things that are suppose to work, like putting her in a cozy confined space that she won't eliminate in because her "denning instinct" will prevent it....yeah, those things don't seem to apply to her.
Is there any help, or hope for this problem?  Pleeeease?