[Dailydrool] Vinny at the Bridge(this is long) Pt 1

Vickie Zehring bubadog at comcast.net
Thu Mar 28 07:18:31 PDT 2013

I lost a special friend last week 3/20/13.He would have been 10 years old this August 13,2013. If it was not for the DD I probably would not have had Vinny at all. Back in August 2003 a member,Pam Chandler, had a litter of puppies, 5, I think. Pam had a website we could watch them grow and get updates from birth,the "sucker for puppies" that I am was checking on them all the time. A little about me , back in the late 80's we got our first bassets,a brother and sister,from a hunting pedigree. It was not my vision to show right away but I dabbled.  My girl was not show quality,didn't try the boy, but he was ,in hindsight, a better dog to show if I had tried.(love those commas) Long story short,I bred Cinnamon to a Champion,"Brownstone Bassets" was formed and had some nice puppies,I kept a girl,eventually I bred her to the #4 dog in the country at the time in 1992 she produced 8 and I kept a girl and a boy had a little more success in showing. I did one more breeding after that 1994 to the girl I kept from 1992, 4 were born and we were getting ready to move to Florida so I kept one girl and in early 1995 I had placed any other dogs and took Grace to Florida with us.(Husband said could only take one) In 1999 I helped a friend whelp a litter(in PA) and she sent the most beautiful black puppy down to me .This was my," Bubba " many of you had read about ,he was a one in a million show dog and my pet, along with Grace,the puppy that came to Florida with us. Breeding Grace and Bubba resulted in no puppies. 2001 we moved back to PA ,the spring of 2002 Bubba was diagnosed with Lymphosarcoma ,his time was limited.He lived 7 months more and on Dec.31,2002 he went to the bridge. Ten months later Grace joined him when she developed lymphoma she did not come around as well and on Oct.17,2003 I had to put her down.  So,I'm no stranger to this breed and this is where Vinny came in at,I could not stand the house being so empty. I got in touch with Pam to see if any of her puppies were still available,(Pam lives in California) a puppy nicknamed "Patch" stood out to me and on November 1,2003 at midnight, he was flown into Washington/Dullas airport. We brough our 11 week old puppy home. This is Part one of two.