[Dailydrool] Vinny at the bridge Pt 2 ( long again)

Vickie Zehring bubadog at comcast.net
Thu Mar 28 17:07:18 PDT 2013

Pam and I agreed on a name for Vinny on his paperwork,"Bossanova Logo N' Saturday Night Fever," so what else could I call him but Vinny.His pedigree surprised me, Jackie Marvitch(from the DD) had bred his father,CH.Oakrydge something ,I can't remember the rest and can't find the pedigree(Figures!) both parents went back to a long line of show dogs(which is what I wanted) and National Specialty Winners,kennels like Rivendell,Sanlyn,Classic and more are there.Some of these kennels have websites take a look. I had hoped Vinny would be a show potential but it didn't pan out,it didn't matter.   Vin had the shortest legs of any basset I've ever seen,it wasn't so noticeable when he was a puppy but when he matured around 3 years old his belly clearance was like 3-4 inches, maybe, I could not figure out why he didn't have hair on his belly,it was because when he came in from outside he would have to climb one step to get into the sunroom to come into the house ,his belly rubbed ,he is lucky to have kept his wiener. Vin was an only dog for a while, fine with him.He was a good puppy,no chewing up stuff,chewing on stuff,housetrained quickly,he could be a bit nippy but he stopped that soon enough. I fostered a dog or two when he was about two Rocky ,my first foster,was a real wise guy,he didn't care what he knocked over to get what he wanted,he and Vinny would play then when Rocky wanted what Vinny had he would just take it from Vin's mouth.Vin got tired of that and would turn his Werewolf on,his lips would almost come up to his nose,with fire in his eyes Rocky would dare not try again.Funny thing is Vinny was a peace maker and a lover,he didn't have a mean bone in his body but he was tired of getting taken. When Vinny was 3-4, I bought  a female from a show friend in Florida (not breeding them,Vinny was fixed) Esa had the best time at Vinny's expense.She would grab his tail and chomp down on it,enough to make him" Woof", it was like he was saying,"MOM" she's doing it again," He has been her pawn ever since. Vinny loved to go for a ride in the car,even to the Vet's he was happy where ever he went,tail up,head up,friendly to people and other dogs,if a dog got snappy with him Vin would turn away,he didn't like confliction. Vin was always a healthy boy ,only ever needed his shots,ear infection a few times but that was normal for the breed.The one memory I have of him at the Vet was he was having a heartworm test done his legs were not going to make it easy to give blood so the tech went for the jugular,As she got her head closer to see the area Vin leaned a little and gave her this huge sloppy kiss from her chin ,over her glasses, to her forehead.Funniest thing I've ever seen. I guess I need a part 3 I'm not done yet:)