[Dailydrool] Gonna be a long week

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Sat Mar 30 16:07:44 PDT 2013

Debbie:
When I was a child, we had a large nonbasset who was the sweetest dog in the world. Neighborhood kids loved her, played with her, had no trouble with her. Except one.

This little girl lived across the street from us. She used to come play occasionally. One of her favorite pastimes became pulling on Licorice's long, sheepdog-type fur. Licorice eventually had enough and warned her. After the warning went unnoticed, probably repeatedly, she bit the girl. Her father, who was a town policeman, did a whole song and dance about our "vicious" dog.

The whole scenario was repeated a second time, only I warned the girl not to pull after Licorice growled at her, but she rebelliously continued to pull (I guess she liked being bitten). Licorice bit again.

The girl was banned from our home, because had Licorice bitten again, the town would have taken her life. By that time I didn't care about not playing with the girl, since I liked Licorice more than I did her obnoxious refusal to treat the dog well. Happily, she moved away not all that long after this event, so it became a nonissue.

Obnoxious children can be a real danger to your dog. Do not take this lightly. Either you need to get the grandhumans on board on this subject, or you may need to take Jake out on a leash, irritating as it may be to both of you. If you are there, the child might not bother the dogs.

People are so funny about dogs biting children, but they just seem to ignore children who torment dogs. I have to wonder what happened to that child and how many issues she ended up having.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets