[Dailydrool] Unfriendly Basset

Tom Hickcox cometkazie1 at cox.net
Mon Mar 4 12:57:48 PST 2013

On 3/4/2013 10:26,msbbeabear at comcast.net wrote:

> Hi,? I have 8 dogs here, mostly Basset Hounds and I have owned a Basset for over 40 yrs.? I have never had one that was nasty with other dogs.? I am fostering the sweetest boy of about 6 yrs old who is from a rescue I work at.? They found him as a stray and we had him at our rescue about 4 months.?

We "rescued" Mabel the summer of '08.  One of the techs at our vet was
going back to school and wasn't going to be able to care for her, so it
was kinda like a family thing as they had been our vet for over twenty
years.

Mabel had been a stray, too.  At the time we had Myrtle who was six
years old.  Mabel is older but we don't know how much, perhaps a couple
of years.

Mabel has always had boundary issues.  She never has warmed up to
Myrtle, who is very affectionate.  If Myrtle was inside of Mabel's
boundaries, she would be growled at, nothing more.  My son's other dog,
not a basset, tried to bully Mabel and they had two knock down, drag
outs.  Mabel got the better both times.  It wasn't close.

In the ensuing years, Mable's boundaries have changed.  She is much more
tolerant, esp of other dogs.  It just took time and I suspect that is
what will happen with your boy.

All the best.

Tommy