[Dailydrool] unfriendly basset

msbbeabear at comcast.net msbbeabear at comcast.net
Sat Mar 2 20:01:54 PST 2013

Hi,  I have 8 dogs here, mostly Basset Hounds and I have owned a Basset for over 40 yrs.  I have never had one that was nasty with other dogs.  I am fostering the sweetest boy of about 6 yrs old who is from a rescue I work at.  They found him as a stray and we had him at our rescue about 4 months.  Most of the time he was in a crate.  Walked a couple of times a day.  I finally couldn't stand him in the crate that long and decided to foster him. At the kennel he had some issues with dogs when they were put outside with him, yet he would walk with me and someone with another dog and not have an issue.  I have him gated off in the back rooms of our house.  He has his own dog door to an outside run.  When the dogs put their noses thru the gate,  he is fine.  No growls only tail wags.  Only have had him a week.   I did try one of my females with him and he immediately growled at her face so I removed her fast.  Do you think he will ever learn to get along with my dogs?  He may have a potential adopter a woman with a 13 yr old Basset and 3  kids under the age of 9.  Does he need to be an only dog?  I just want him to be happy.  He loves kids and people.  Not sure about cats.  We lost our Walter who was 13 two days ago and he is so much like him, even in his looks, except Walter was never like this with other dogs. If anyone has any suggestions how to work this out, please email me.  I appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Thanks, Renee