[Dailydrool] The shabbat chicken

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 4 09:44:51 PDT 2013

Hi it's Dale,

Well, yesterday was shabbat and Greg said he'd do the shopping.  It was too hot
to go to the dog park so he went to the bakery too.  Picked up the challah and
also the special Friday "dog park" cookies.  He then stopped at the market and
bought a whole chicken and some fresh asparagus and some fresh corn on the cobb
too.

He came home and placed the challah in the microwave (Snoopy proof) and turned
on the oven and was chopping up onions to roast inside the chicken and then he
went out to the garden to get some fresh herbs.  I was working from home
yesterday and I went out to the garden with him .... the bassets were out back
.... I lingered outside and I heard Greg ask out loud "now where did that
chicken go, I set it down right here."  He didn't get it right away but I sure
did.  I looked around and started counting bassets, Snoopy check, LuLu check,
Gracie ...... oh oh .... where's Gracie.  I said "honey do you see Gracie?"  He
still didn't get it he said "NO she's around here somewhere right now I'm
looking for this chicken it was here a minute ago."

I came inside and did a quick sweep of the house.  No Gracie.  No chicken
either.  So, I launched into a more detailed search.  Room by room.  I found her
in the office.  Huddled in the corner of the futon (yes, I have to wash the
cover).  It was quite clever actually she had chosen the corner CLOSEST to the
door because she was shielded from view from the hallway there.  I also found
the chicken.  Well, I found about 2/3 of the chicken.  She had chewed through
(but not eaten) the wrapper and was working on the breast which she had eaten
most of.  She did not look up from her work, she just continued to eat with
gusto.   Silently too, I would have been impressed but I was pretty worried, I
figured if Snoopy saw this he go for it and I'd have a heck of a problem then so
I ran in there and told Gracie firmly she HAD to give me the chicken and NOW and
then I reached down and took the chicken away from her (completely forgetting
that she is not a labrador retriever) and she looked up at me with "that look."
 You know, the "I can't believe there is anyone on this planet that is this
clueless but I really do love you momPerson" look.   And she let me take her
chicken.

Greg was not proud of Gracie for giving me her prize.  I told him to wait while
I went back to the store.  They had ONE more whole chicken.  I brought it home
and cleaned it up and put the stuff Greg had prepped inside it and put it in the
oven.

And that is the story of the shabbat chicken.

Dale, aka the clueless momPerson
with Gracie (I love raw chicken, why can't we eat raw diet)
and LuLu (I'm not much into stolen goods)
and Snoopy OEBE, Curator of Missing Objects  (If I'd have known I'd have curated
that chicken and I'd be a mass of welts right now)