[Dailydrool] Whistleblower bill

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Sat May 4 19:08:05 PDT 2013

This isn't exactly Basset related, except possibly in future for Basset
rescues, but I would like to urge anyone from Tennessee on the list to
call Gov. Bill Haslam at 615-741-2001 and *politely* say, "As your
constituent, I'm asking that you pleave veto SB 1248, the
anti-whistleblower "ag-gag" bill."

This bill will require anyone, including animal rescue groups and humane
societies to turn over any photos and other "evidence" about animal
abuse (currently mostly horses, etc.) to sheriff or police dept within
48 hours and bow out completely thereafter. Failure to do so will result
in fines and possibly worse.

What this basically does, is allow "good ol' boys" to suppress or cover
up any evidence and to warn farmers and (probably) puppy-millers in
advance of a possible investigation. The other, primary goal, IMO, is to
keep people from putting photos and information on facebook and other
media and causing unwelcome TV coverage and public reaction.

I already know from personal experience that some ag extention agents,
to whom "livestock" abuse *must* be reported *first* has warned the
culprits and aided them in getting animals hidden before investigators
could appear with warrants.

Thank you, Riche Churchill