[Dailydrool] Ol Roy etc

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Mon May 27 20:27:58 PDT 2013

Hoping not to start (restart) a food war, the following is just my
opinion from my own experience. I really am beginning to think we are
being hornswoggled by dog food companies. Aside from dogs with allergy
problems (and there seems to be way too many of them) or specific health
problems, I have serious doubts as to how much it matters WHAT is fed.

With 70 years of dog ownership experience, my dogs today are no more
heathy nor less so than the first one. We fed Purina (and whatever came
before it) probably the first 55 years. For the last 15-ish, we've
avoided kibbles whose first ingredient is "yellow corn" and fed brands
featuring rice and lamb or rice and chicken or are grain-free.

The treats are another matter. I don't pay attention to what's in them,
partly because they are a very small part of doggy intake and also
because I'm not about to pay $7 or more for a 12-oz. (or less) box or
bag of SuperDuperHealth biscuits.

Throughout all these years, for whatever reason, I have never had a
single dog with a health problem that was in any way related to food. In
fact, mine have had very little health problems of any kind (knock on
wood) and every single one, regardless of breed (tho most were Bassets)
lived to the average lifespan or well beyond. Every one -- except for a
pup I bought in the 60's who turned out to have VWD (bleeding disorder).
However, I'll continue with the "believed to be better" kibble and
continue to avoid the first-ingredient-corn hoopla, but am no longer
convinced it matters as much as we're told.

I certainly know plenty of people who feed their dogs the cheapest and
junkiest dog food, and the dogs seem to live forever, unless they get
hit by a car.

Riche