[Dailydrool] June 1st Calendar Girl

Rob Lyons hound at rjlp.com
Fri May 31 16:20:56 PDT 2013

June 1st calendar girl, Fendi. Today is the one-year anniversary of her
Got'cha day.

We had just lost our Jackie and April in March and May of 2012, and when
we adopted Fendi, a six-year old retired champion from Topsfield Kennels
on June 1st, we thought we were done with heartbreak for awhile. It was
not to be. Within several weeks of adopting Fendi, My wife, Jane, began
having back pain. By the end of June she had been diagnosed with
advanced lung, liver, and bone cancer. Jane spent several weeks in the
hospital, and then began a slow recovery through the rest of 2012. We
thought the drool was working.  But within 4 days of having a favorable
CT scan in January 2013, she died suddenly and unexpectedly in her sleep
the night of Jan 20th. The past 4+ months have been a living hell for
me. I know I wouldn't have gotten through this time without Fendi. She
is just the most affectionate, best behaved Basset we've ever had. We go
on lots of walks together everyday, and she follows me around the house
everywhere I go. Before Jane passed, she had said that Fendi was sent to
me to get me through this great loss. I think that's probably true. I
know that I would not be here now if it weren't for Fendi. She is the
only thing I live for.

Rob Lyons for Fendi