[Dailydrool] Epilepsy

Chyril Sparks chyrils at yahoo.com
Mon May 6 07:34:20 PDT 2013

I had a Cocker Spaniel mix who was diagnosed with epilepsy at the age of 9 months and I started her on medication.  My vet placed her on Phenobarbital and it did not change her personality one bit.  Now her liver did process the medication quicker so it did not leave much in her system for a therapeutic level, but we did manage to keep her at a therapeutic level.  The medication did help control how often she had a seizure and the severity of it.  I recommend keeping a journal of when Mier has a seizure, how long the convulsions last, and what was Mier doing prior to the seizure.  We never could determine a trigger for my dog's seizures but the journal did help us determine when the medication was or was not working and a change needed to be made.  Also, keep track of the moon cycle in the journal. Some dogs will have seizures based on the phase of the moon. Also, I had Harley and Annabelle when my Cocker Spaniel mix was around and they did
 not act negatively towards her when she had a seizure, in fact they tried to be helpful.  At times a little too helpful but was concerned when their elderly buddy was not feeling well.  She would become lethargic just before a seizure and that was my only clue.

I would try the medication and see how it works out.  Most people I talked to about it before placing my dog on medication stated they did not notice much of a personality difference, plus Phenobarbital is cheap and worth a try.

Hope this helps.

Chyril owner to  Harley, Annabelle, Cassie and Olivia

Message: 6