[Dailydrool] Coats and sweaters

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Wed Nov 13 20:43:59 PST 2013

I have my doubts about the need for coats or sweaters on dogs unless 1)
you are taking them on an really extended walk or, 2) they are the
extremely sensitive types such as Italian Greyhounds, Chihuahuas, etc.
That type often need some type of clothing even when inside the house.

The coat may help some, but usually the head and ears, and, especially
the feet and legs, are still exposed, not to mention the belly, etc. To
me, the biggest danger would be the owner leaving the dog out too long
because of reliance on a coat that may not be helping enough.

I've found that dogs who "freeze" in place when a coat or sweater is put
on them usually can learn to tolerate either with time and patience. Put
it on for 5 minutes and take off -- do this a couple of times a day
until they grow bored and stop thinking it means the end of the world.

For an unusually cold-sensitive Basset or other breed or elderly dog,
I'd just plan on having pre-warmed towels or electric blanket at the
ready when he or she comes back inside.

Riche