[Dailydrool] Coats and sweaters

Pamela McQuade plmcquade at optimum.net
Fri Nov 15 16:18:00 PST 2013

I am not a real fan of dressing up dogs, but I have found that if I have
a dog that's thin, it may need a coat in our sometimes-frigid New Jersey
temperatures.

Belvedere, my heart dog, came to us rather thin. Before I could chub him
up a bit, cold weather arrived, and every time I'd take him out, he
would shiver in the wind. Happily he came with a sweater, though it was
pretty thin and not in great shape. I knitted him another that
unfortunately was not designed for the basset shape and had extra space
in the chest, so he rarely used it--though it was beautiful, if I say so
myself. (Someday I will find a dog who can use it.) Then a coworker of
Drew's gave Bel a beautiful sweater that he was proud to wear and that
fit perfectly. I still have pictures of him in it.

Dexter came to us pretty slim too. Again, cold weather made him shiver.
So, since Bel's sweater didn't fit him, I made him a beautiful
horse-blanket-style quilted coat, with red Sherpa-like fleece and denim
and a beautiful binding that matched both. I have pictures of him, too,
standing there saying (I swear he really did), "I look like a dork!" But
it keeps him toasty. Last year he didn't wear it very much, though,
since he didn't shiver very much. I think he just wills himself not to
shiver, so he doesn't have to wear it--though he looks absolutely
adorable in it. (Scroll down to August 22 on my Facebook page, and you
can see him in it.)

I don't really dress dogs, unless they really need it, but those skinny
bassets who come from not-so-great places or have had medical problems
and haven't eaten well may just need some help until they put on the
pounds. If Dex's coat no longer fits him, I may pass it on to Horton, if
it isn't too big for him. This is supposed to be a seriously cold
winter.
Pam, food slave and clother of the Dashing Bassets