[Dailydrool] Dogs who are cold and hate clothes

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 13:00:36 PST 2013

Bev,
I am not sure you can make Conley wear clothes if he hates them, even if he
is cold.  Bugsey has a real aversion to wearing clothes.  Part of it is he
has that big deep show basset chest and yet, he isn't that long.  So, store
bought clothes do not fit that well.  He also hates puffy.  You know those
cute puffy jackets that are all the rage?  He stands like a statue in it
and cries.  Really.  It is pathetic.  I would try the blanket coat.  They
fit the best because they are adjustable.  I would definitely not put him
in a sweater.  You have to pull them over their head and Bugsey just won't
do it.  I have the best luck with a sweatshirt he steps into and it velcros
on his back.  I think I got it from Foster & Smith.  He still doesn't love
it.  He just wants a blanket on him in the house.

It is funny because when I see shivering dogs I ask who wants clothes and
go to where they are.  Bugsey runs in the opposite direction and Beauford
and Browyn follow me.  Browyn, being a true fairy princess likes to pick
out her own clothes.  So, they are in a basket on top of her crate.  I put
the basket on the floor and she picks what she wants and I dress her.

Beauford likes me to hold them up and if he wants it he comes to me and
stands still and I dress him.  If I pick out the wrong clothes he steps
away from me and shakes his head.

Yes, bassets are dumb and my bassets aren't spoiled in the least.

Jennifer with Beauford (when are you getting out the clothes woman!),
Bugsey (it is not cold yet), and Browyn the Fairy Princess (I found a bird
that broke its neck in the backyard and I am too busy eating it to care
about clothes at the moment)