[Dailydrool] Clothing & Thyroid Issues

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 05:54:36 PST 2013

One of the things I have discovered in dressing a basset is you really have
to watch it in deep snow.  My bassets, like most human children, do not
like things tight around their neck.  With Browyn, it is an issue getting
over her head as well.  She doesn't have a show quality head.  It is more
rounded.  It is hard to use a Martingale collar on her.  Whereas if I don't
use a Martingale collar on Bugsey, he can slip that collar in no time flat.
 Anyway when the neck is bigger, the front tends to sag.  As they run
through the snow, the neckline serves as a shovel to pack snow into the
sweater or jacket.  You end up with a very wet basset with lots of snow
pack between them and the protective clothing.  That is why I like to use
the velcro "horse" blanket type clothing when there is lots of snow.  No,
they don't have as much tummy protection, but I don't think snow pack next
to the skin is better.

Thyroid.  A low thyroid level can definitely mean a cold dog, but if you
don't see fatigue, weight gain or hair loss, I am not sure it is worth
doing blood work.

I wanted to have Bugsey's thyroid checked this summer when his hair was
falling out and all he wanted to do was stay inside.  Plus, he was gaining
weight.  Well, the vet asked me to increase his Atopica for his allergies.
 I did and his hair quit falling out.  He also got a little more energy,
but he hates the heat.  As for the weight gain, I called the manufacturer
of his food and found out his food has twice the calories of Beauford and
Browyn's food.  Yes, I was being an idiot and feeding them all the same
amount.  Yes, I KNOW better.  Well, it turns out Bugsey can only eat 1/2 c
of food 2x a day.  Switching food is not easy because of his food
allergies.  So, I am now putting frozen mixed veggies on his food.  His
mixed veggies do not have corn, peas or lima beans in it.  Green beans,
carrots, squash, broccoli and cauliflower.  So, don't forget to look at the
big picture as well.  Having said that, keep in mind it can be thyroid.  I
have had 2 dogs who had low thyroid as well as myself and a little,
inexpensive pill can make a world of difference.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey and Browyn the Fairy Princess