[Dailydrool] Crockpot recipes

AWoodrum awoodrum at clear.net
Tue Nov 12 11:14:24 PST 2013

Most dogs and people can eat rice with no problems (except for Marlene's
Maggie, who is allergic to rice), so I make a rice porridge in the crockpot,
then add whatever meats and veggies I want, flavor with powdered bullion,
and the peegs (as Holly calls them) chow down.  Since mine love their kibble
crunch, I pour a small ladle of porridge over kibble, which also means I
don't have to worry about them getting the correct basic vitamins and
minerals. I've never had any dog turn this down.

Put one (1) cup of regular rice (not Minute Rice or Quick Rice) in the crock
pot with eight (8) cups of water, cover and cook until rice is done.  This
depends on your crock pot, older ones tend to cook a little slower than
newer ones.  On High it should take anywhere from 4 to 6 hours.  On Low
should take roughly 6 to 8 hours.

Once the rice is done (do NOT drain), leave it all in the crock pot and add
1 to 2 cups of any shredded cooked meat you like, then drain 2 or 3 cans of
veggies and add.  Flavor with bullion powder, just stir it in and taste it,
and when it tastes good to you, the dogs will love it.  It will look like
rice soup or rice stew.

We don't have any food allergies, thank doG, so we have used just about
every kind of meat imaginable.  I take leftovers, shred them up and throw
them in baggies and freeze so I usually have meats ready.  We use canned
vegetables because my bunch seems to prefer them, it was Gracie (ATB)
really, she liked her veggies mushy.  Oh, do not use corn, the dogs cannot
digest it and it comes through whole.  Yuck, sorry about that.

Hope this helps.  It is incredibly easy and very fast to make.  You'll have
lots left over, so put it in a covered container and refrigerate and
tomorrow measure some out in a bowl, microwave it to just barely warm, and
they'll go crazy over it again.

Anita Woodrum
awoodrum at clear.net