[Dailydrool] Another Dog Law ALERT

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 14:26:28 PDT 2013

This is aimed at Houston but make no mistake, it is aimed at all of us.
Start paying attention to dog legislation.
Permission to cross post granted.

*******************************

DOG LAWS
RED ALERT HOUSTON!!!!!!!!

****Houston Be Aware!**** New city ordinance being proposed and your
rights as an AKC Show Breeder are OVER if this passes, here are some
comments from Sherry:

I just started watching the BARC meeting
that Carol went to. During the presentation 19:53 minutes into it, the
proposed change making non-commercial breeding a violation of city
ordinances is discussed. The speaker states outright that it is intended
 to end breeding activity in the city. They don't want any more dogs
bred here. You should adopt one from BARC or another shelter.

Do you think the citizens of this city have any idea what is going on here.
Has this even made the news?

I called BARC today and after talking to several people was told by
Jarrad (?) that to obtain a list of the permitted breeders in the city, I
 would have to file under Freedom of Information and then I probably
couldn't get it because of "legal issues." I asked how many had been
granted, and he told me that in his 3 yrs there, he'd seen 2 or 3
applied for. Then he told me that the city took in 125 animals a day and
 so they didn't want any more dogs or cats being bred. That people like
me were responsible for this.

If you live in the city, you have a city council member. Why don't you get
on the phone and start talking to them now?

Let me make this very clear. The city has already made it illegal for
you to sell a dog without a commercial breeding permit. That doesn't
mean if you have ten dogs and sell three litters a year. It means if you
 breed and sell ONE animal. It also means if you sell any unsterilized
animal even if you didn't breed it.

NOW, they're proposing to
make it illegal for you to breed a dog or cat even if you keep all the
dogs yourself! You'd fall into the category of a non-commercial breeder
and that will now be illegal.