[Dailydrool] Colt Update

Michele S. wickedfoxybear at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 13 06:31:43 PDT 2013

First off drool to all that need it.

Colt is doing pretty good.  We are still waiting on the biopsy report. Doc wanted to wait on the biopsy report in case we wanted to start him on chemo...we didn't know if pred would mess with the effectiveness of the chemo or not. But, 8 days ago after talking with Dr. B we started him on prednisone because Colt was starting to get pickier about eating, lethargic, and he just didn't look right in his eyes.  I think because his lymph nodes were so swolling it hurt to eat, and he would look at his food and decide if it was worth the pain of eating it.  He got to the point that he would only eat chicken or liver jerky, boiled chicken (couldn't have anything in it) or some of the Wellness canned foods (95% meat). He would also eat Stella & Chewy's Duck Duck Goose freeze dried biscuits. (this is something that a bulldog rescuer recommend to give dogs that weren't eating to get them to eat) Colt is normally a "Hoover"  and eats anything that doesn't eat him first.  I didn't want him to get to the point of not eating at all. He would only eat the chicken off of a plate, everything else I was having to hand feed him, frequent small meals. Once we started him on the pred he slowly, over each day his appetite and energy started to come back and his food pickiness started to disappear. And for the last few days he is back eating his normal food.  I have also added spinach, kale, broccoli (cancer fighting foods) to his meals and I am still adding boiled chicken or venison (to bump up the protein level). I've also added a few vitamins and other supplements in as well. (fish oil, Vit B-12, Vit C, Vit E, Echinacea, Golden seal, I-Glutamine, turmeric, and K-9 Immunity (all supposed to help fight cancers or boost his immune system) He also gets yogurt (to keep the good bacteria levels up in the gut), but that has been a normal food topping for several years.  All of this has come from the suggestion of droolers and my on-line research and a little gut instinct. There aren't any holistic vets within a 100 miles of here.  Everything that I am reading says to up the Protein and fat levels in the food and decrease carbs and sugars, because cancer feed off of carbs and sugar.  One holistic vet that I contacted suggested taking him to University of Florida because they have a holistic vet department there.  Tomorrow Colt has his follow-up appointment with Dr. B so we will discuss this with him and see if he can get us a referral appointment. Ruger also has his annual exam and I think that I am going to have doc do a full work-up or at least blood panel on him. Colt is back to chasing squirrels, hoovering the floor and going on very short walks (down the street about 5-8 houses down and back).  He's got the brightness back in his eyes and the lymph node swelling has went down. Hopefully we can keep him in remission for a very long time. I'm also adding the veggies, fish oil, vit E and Tumeric to Rugers meals to help boost his health.

Thank you droolers for all of your love, support, drool and prayers. Please continue to mention Colt in your prayers and sling any spare drool to him.  Hopefully I have replied to everyone that sent a personal note. If not I truly apologize.  Things got a little hectic with using the laptop, and ipad to read and respond e-mails and the first few days of Colt's diagnosis...well I was a red hot mess. Now we have turned our attention to fighting this and enjoying each and every moment that we are blessed with his presence on this Earth with us.  Everyone give your hounds an extra pet, hug, belly rub and treat from us.

Michele, Colt & Ruger at Howling Hound Acres
Women are Angels...And when someone breaks their wings..They simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...They are flexible like that...