[Dailydrool] Adequan

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 16:47:00 PDT 2013

I have used adequan with 5 dogs over the years.  I really thought we were
going to have to put Bubbles ATB to sleep when we started her on the shots.
 Within 2 months I had a brand new dog.  She lived another 5 years and it
was repeated strokes that got her in the end.

I started Bismark ATB on the shots as well when he was 11, but he got
stupid with the shots.  He was blind and deaf and after we started the
shots he decided he could jump from piece of furniture to piece of
furniture.  My heart just was not up to this behavior once he couldn't see.
 Yes, he did miss...often.  So, I took him off.

It never did a bit of good for Banshee ATB and I stopped the shots.  Soon
after we found out she had a brain tumor.

We adopted Elwood ATB when he was 7.  I started him on adequan when he was
9.  The vet really thought we were going to have to put him to sleep.  That
is how bad his arthritis was.  (The vet didn't tell me this until the day
we had to send Elwood to the bridge).  He lived to be 13.

I started Beauford on it when he was 1.  He fell off the couch and hurt a
shoulder.  He has very crooked front legs and I just had this feeling he
had hip dysplasia.  He did the bunny hop instead of a normal run and he
tended to lay with his back legs out behind him.  We kept him on the shots
until we could get good x-rays of adult hips.  The femers just hang outside
the hip socket.  It is really wicked looking.  I still have him on it.  He
gets a shot once a month at this point.  We had to keep Elwood ATB on every
3 weeks.  Beauford also takes phycox and dasuquan.  I feel really good
though because despite how horrible his anatomy is, he still has good
cartiledge.  If you can afford the shots, I would really give it a try.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey and Browyn the Fairy Princess