[Dailydrool] Senility and anxiety in senior hounds

Nicole Haase nicole.haase at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 09:12:47 PDT 2013

Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience in using Prozac with
their hound, especially when it comes to choosing Prozac vs Anipryl.

To keep it super simple, we bought a two story house a year ago. My Flash
is 14 and frankly, around two years longer than I thought he'd be. I'm
certainly happy he's still here, but the poor guy is not adjusting well to
the house and doesn't like sleeping "alone." For the past year, he'll wake
up overnight and bark because he's confused and scared and alone. This past
week, that changed to every HOUR overnight.

He's mostly blind and definitely experiencing symptoms of canine senility.

So the vet told us we could do Prozac or Anipryl, but suggested we start
with the Prozac for a month to see if it helps him.

I was just curious what others experiences were in this situation. Poor guy
is just old and losing it and I want to make him as comfortable as
possible.

Thanks
Nicole