[Dailydrool] Ben and pancreatitis

Wendie Prince houndsabound at cfl.rr.com
Thu Oct 17 03:07:19 PDT 2013

Douglas,
I was worried Ben would turn up with pancreatitis.  It will be some work to
get the right food in him, being that he is so picky about what he eats to
start.
I have had to make a slurry of Science Diet ID before, and syringe a hound
to get food in during one of the pancreas attacks here.  There is an small
can, labeled AD (also Science Diet), you can get, sometimes it helps in
getting a dog eating.  It is supposed to be more flavorful than the ID, if
that is what you are using.  And an appetite stimulant can be gotten from
the vet also, possibly it might help.  Is he drinking water fine?  Hydration
is so important during this, so keep an eye for how much he is drinking,
sure do not need him lacking.  Lucas just went through this and it took a
couple weeks, and he is still not back to normal on eating yet.  Getting
there, but he will be on a low fat diet probably for life as he had it 2x in
a 3 month period.  And. Really, he had no abnormal treats, human or
otherwise.  Sometimes you just do not know what sets it off.  Lucas had to
get sub Q fluids several times since he was not drinking much.
The Bounders are sending mega drool,  I know just what you are going
through.

wen and the Bounders
www.seniorhoundsabound.org