[Dailydrool] This & that

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 17:03:44 PDT 2013

I learn so much from everyone on this list! Thanks so much for sharing your
Mom's advice, Dale. What a smart lady she was and you're so lucky to have
had her for your mom. Our Shadow isn't quite as bad as Ben but we've had
our times that she won't eat and nothing we do will tempt her appetite. I'm
hoping that Ben gets over his current slump and starts eating and drinking
soon. I was going to email Douglas and suggest chicken or beef bullion
until I completely read his note and saw that he already tried it. I wish I
had some info to share but you've tried everything that I know of.

I don't care who we vote for in the next Shelter Challenge so just let us
all know who is chosen and when to start. I'm so disappointed that Basset
Buddies didn't win the money but getting the vaccines for the rescue is a
pretty nice gift.

BaRCSE has recently taken in a couple of puppies whose mother couldn't or
wouldn't take care of them. One of BaRCSE wonderful foster moms, D, has
them along with a pair of heartworm positive senior brothers and a younger
basset boy, Bugsey. This lady is doing amazing things with these puppies as
well as house training the two brothers and keeping track of the younger
wild one. She is truly an angel for these hounds. Now if we could figure
out a way to clone her!

Our Ginger had a chronic UTI a couple of years ago and we discovered she
had crystals in her urine. My vet said to give her a Vitamin C every day
which we've done and she has never had another infection.

I don't know about the rest of you but the bathroom trash is something that
the Houndettes all raid if it's left where they can reach it and none of
them are even close to being buppies. We put the small trash pails up on
the back of the toilets here and, so far, no one has climbed up onto the
throne to get into them. I hope I haven't just jinxed myself!

One of my mastiff granddogs, Brutus, is eleven now and has terrible
arthritis. He takes two Tramadol every 12 hours and is doing very well with
it. He does sleep a lot but, at eleven, I think he'd do that even if he
didn't take the Tramadol. Everyone is different so, if your hound doesn't
handle Tramadol well, there are a number of other pain meds to try. I'm
glad someone on the list mentioned a while ago how awful it tastes so we
hide the Tramadol in a hot dog or cheese when we give it to him. We feel so
fortunate to still have the big guy with us at his age and that we're able
to keep him comfortable.

Jersey had a sebaceous cyst at the base of her tail rupture a couple of
weeks ago. UGH! Just plain gross! So we shaved the area and got her all
cleaned up but she still has a hole where it opened. I know it's supposed
to heal from the inside out but shouldn't it be closed up by now? Of
course, I haven't put the inflatable collar on her because someone played
tug of war with it the last time someone had to wear it and I haven't
gotten a new one yet. Probably it would close if she left it completely
alone for a couple of days.

The weather is a lot cooler here than it was and the Houndettes are all
enjoying it. It's really fun to watch the four of them frisk and play when
they go out into the cool air every morning.

That's it from the Houndettes. They're slinging lots of get well and heart
healing drool to all in need. Humans and hounds!

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger