[Dailydrool] Happy Gotcha Day, Mier !

Frans Breytenbach soilkraft at mylan.co.za
Thu Oct 24 01:28:35 PDT 2013

Well old Mier

On 1 November you'll be with us for exactly a year. According to the rules of the Drool, that is your Gotcha Day. Unfortunately I will not be here to congratulate you, but there are a few things I need to discuss with you.

1 Your Bed Manners : You know, we have a very special bed made of cedar wood. When the air is still one could always get a faint whiff of the cedar aroma. Since you arrived, most of the nights the room smells like the trenches in the First World War, you know. And another thing ; there is sufficient room on the bed for you and Mariette and Sally and me to sleep comfortably. Why you insist on lying diagonally across the bed is just a mystery to me. Most of the nights some of us are now just demoted to the spare bedroom.

2 Your Medical Expenses : In the year that you've been with us, I've spent more money on your health than on mine. It was the seizures, the tick bite fever, all the blood tests, inocculations, the growths on your eye lids, the thorn in your eye, the stick in your lip, that smelly gland and then well, that little operation...........

3 Your Wild Manners : You know Mier, here where we live, it is not the desert anymore. It is not exactly civilization, but you need to be a bit more careful. If you run off like you do, chances are that you will get bitten by a snake, or you'll injure youself - like a thorn in the eye. You know exactly what I mean. Also, this gravel road on the boundary of the property : the farmers drive along it at breakneck speed. If you get in the way you are history my friend.

4 Food : You really embarrased us in front of our friends : Zipping that chocolate croissant from the woman's plate ! It was inexcusable - but actually I found it adorable ; you should have seen the rest of the company's faces. I must give you this - you refined counter surfing to a blitzkrieg.

In the Christian religion not much is made of dogs. We read about the dogs eating the crumbs falling from the table, or the dogs licking the sores of the man with leprosy. But when we were in Tibet, we saw a lot of dogs at the monasteries and temples. You know what : Those people believe that a monk who did not quite make the grade in his previous life can come back as a dog and is therefore welcome at a place of religion and treated with respect. Also, in one movie Dianne Keaton makes a statement (rather profoundly, what what) to Woody Allen that dog is just God spelt in reverse order. But that is only in English.

So what to think of it all ? I'll tell you :

You accepted us as your family without any reservations, in spite of being ill treated by humans before. You give us unconditional love and loyalty without asking anything in return - well except for a bowl of food, at least two slices of bread and what can be zipped from the counter or the neighbor's rubbish bin etc. Your big smile and floppy ears sort of filled a gap that has been left a few years ago.

We love you, old man : HAPPY GOTCHA DAY!!!!!!!!

Frans & Mariette Breytenbach