[Dailydrool] Feyfey....those 10 years went fast.

bassetslave at comcast.net bassetslave at comcast.net
Thu Oct 31 07:44:53 PDT 2013

Ten years ago today, my best friend went to the bridge.She went to see her Mama Tootsie, who greeted her at the basset gate.Mama Tootsie was Feyfey’s real mom and had every intention of putting her dawGter to work.

Soon after Rich and I were married, he decided to make my dream of having a basset hound come true.He found his way to Hank and Sharon Scully, who didn’t have any puppies, but had a 5 year old. Sharon uttered those famous words, "Just come look." Feyfey promptly climbed on my lap and put her head on my shoulder. First and last time for that move. Feyfey was very good at getting what she wanted. Which was to go home with us.She’d tried out two other homes and decided the humans were not worth slave training.We had to go get a fence and some other things.A week later we returned to pick up the hound that would change our lives and many others. Sharon stood sniffling in the driveway, thinking she would not see Fey again. Feyfey had other plans.

On the way home we stopped in a park. Thought dogs liked walks. Feyfey was not a dog. She allowed us to haul her a short distance and returned to the car. Rich had bought her a lovely dog house in the newly enclosed small yard. She went in it exactly once, to remove a chewie. Feyfey was not a dog. We had a big fluffy dog bed in the kitchen. She howled all night and refused to get on it. Feyfey was not a dog. Rich went down at about 4 AM and was going to put her in the bathroom so we might sleep. He was muttering about returning her. I heard a crash. He’d picked her up and slipped in drool. He landed with her on top of him. Feyfey came upstairs. She was not a dog. Repeat after me.

We were quickly trained. Fey could arch an eyebrow and tell you what she wanted. She wanted to help her poor friends and attended her first Tri-State Picnic. Where Barbara Wicklund took one look and declared her a, "Scully Hound." Feyfey went to or ran more basset events than I could fathom. Paw unseen, she became Michigan Basset Rescue Waddle Queen 98. Gramma Jo said so. She proudly rode with her King, Caruso.When her year was up, and Queen Ransome was stepping into the tiara, Feyfey bawked. She became Forever Queen Feyfey. A title she carried off with her 10 years ago and will always retain.Fey was very, very good at her job of being Queen.With no disrespect to her wonderful predecessor, Mabel, WQ 97, Feyfey worked it. Fey (and dear Caruso) gave the titles cachet and their successors bask in the glow.She got her picture in newspapers over and over and over. Attending the Beagle Barbeque, she waddled off. The next day we found her picture in the paper with a note, "Fey, a Beagle." Not picky, she just worked people. She served as BoardWaddle hostess for 5 years. She pushed us to raise unfathomable amounts for rescue. In large and small ways.....she worked PET FEYFEY into a mantra....and proudly had people tucking dollars in her collar for the opportunity. She created the "Woofle" and allowed me and a few Auntie’s to use it..... She had friends everywhere. After an early waddle, she and Rich were sitting on the grass outside a store in Lancaster, Pa. A man pulled up and jumped out to pet her....exclaiming, "Is this FEYFEY???" She loved the Daily Drool and made friends everwhere.Nancy Gallagher granted her an advice column that she pawed till her passing. She often visited her pack at Camp Jamboree and Hank and Sharon became frequent visitors. Her best friend, Peachie came to see her.

In January 2003, Sydney B. Went to the bridge, too young. In July of 2003, Woo <*>, went to the bridge too suddenly. Feyfey hated being an only hound. Fosteryeahright Nudgie had to move in. As he crossed the kitchen the first time, she snarked him. He smiled his sweet smile and knew who was boss. Peace reigned. Cakie came for an extended visit. She needed to be trained by Feyfey. Diagnosed with kidney failure in February 2003, Feyfey did a complete lap of her social season.The good-bye tour. She BoardWaddled, she Rambled, she went to Mishgun every year and she went to her picnics. She was consulted by Grand Marshall Queen Xandy Bear, who dismayed Feyfey by bringing the Hugmonster to her home, causing the table incident.She loved her many Aunties and Uncles, who loved her back.She loved her puppies. Most of all, she loved her Hank. Sharon, yes...but Hank was the star in her night sky.She rode her wagon in Mishgun and she went to Gettysburg Nationals. I still have a picture of Feyfey with her second favorite person on the wall in our bedroom. Feyfey with Kathryn Fuller.They became special friends early on when Rich asked then tiny Kathryn to watch Fey for a moment. An hour later, Kathryn was till petting Feyfey. She flew with Auntie Beth to say good-bye to Fey in early October 2003.Fey did one last appearance, at the Metro Bash. Always having a sense of humor, she left on her own on Howloween 2003. Gramma Jo and Auntie Melissa threw her the first of Mishgun Basset Rescue’s memorial services.Asked who petted Feyfey....hundreds of people raised their hands.Auntie Moosebarb made her a memorial website.The entries went on for many, many pages. Niece Taco Woof Bell became her stunt double. Melba Toast was her west coast book end.

The ten years have gone too fast. Feyfey stopped letting me type for her, the day she left.She continues to woof to Cakie, then Pawtunia... and seems to have taken over the bridge greetings and bountiful buffet. She woofs through them. She has often been imitated....and there have been wonderful hounds who followed her, a few survive who sniffed her in pawson...Auntie Sandy had the buttons made...... WWFFD. What would Feyfey do?

She stares off the wall in a life size portrait. Her presence lingers. She was a force of nature. Forever Queen Feyfey, Mama Fey, Dear Feyfey, Dean Absecon School of Basset Social Graces. Jamboree’s Forever Yours AJ. She is forever ours.

dawnslave