[Dailydrool] Horton's birthday celebration

Pamela McQuade plmcquade at optimum.net
Thu Oct 31 04:44:13 PDT 2013

Horton came into rescue as a stray, along with his brother. The two of
them had been wandering about with their mama in one of the Carolinas.
After mama got adopted down south, the boys (whose names were
then Speckles and Freckles) came north into Tri-State's care.

Speckles insisted on being adopted at TSBHR's Howliday Party. Though his
current people were planning on taking another hound, Speckles pushed
his way into the male slave's face and asked to go home with him.
Freckles (or Horton as TSBHR's president had renamed him, since at about
the same time there was another Freckles in the rescue) hid in one
corner of the ex pen throughout the event. I remember seeing him and
feeling very sorry for him.

Drew and I left the party with another foster, Baby. I never would have
thought I'd see that fearful puppy again. But after the adoption
arranged for him turned disastrous, I agreed to foster Horton (all the
while loudly proclaiming that I do not do puppies). He now had a broken
leg from a car accident and needed a foster home with a ramp, and we had
a ramp.

The rest is history. Horton came, and I could not let him go. Within 24
hours, this fearful fellow had bonded to me, and though I tried to let
him go when his leg was healed, I simply could not do it. After two
potential adoptions fell through, it was clear it was meant to be, and
we failed fostering yet again.

When we saw the orthopedist in January, he opined that Horton was a bit
over a year old. So since CBHR had his shots done on October 31, I am
claiming this as Horton's birthday. At the very least, it was a day of
big changes for him.

Thank you, CBHR for working with Tri-State to find this boy a home. I
just can't imagine not having him, and I am so glad you were there to
help him when he needed it. Thank you Tri-State for convincing me that
Horton would not be a rerun of our impy puppy Jane and giving him to us
to foster.

So celebrate with us the joys of a dog whose life was saved by two
rescue groups, escaped death in a car accident, and healed perfectly
under an excellent orthopedist's care. Horton's life went from miserable
to cushy because of all the many folks who cared. There are no better
folks than basset rescue ones. I'm sure Horton would agree!
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets