[Dailydrool] Howlers

AWoodrum awoodrum at clear.net
Thu Oct 31 20:57:26 PDT 2013

Baxter and Bunny are our two new Bassets, the bonded pair who came to us in
early September.  I've never had any Bassets who actually howled before, but
these two do.  We live within a mile or two of the huge spaghetti
intersection of two Interstate Highways in Dallas, so we hear lots of sirens
(not real loud but you definitely hear them).  Plus we live a little less
than three blocks away from a fire station.  Lots of sirens there, too.
Baxter howls at sirens, and Bunny (who is a bit hard of hearing) hears
Baxter howling and chimes in.  Mostly they howl in the daytime, at night
when they're asleep they don't seem to register sirens (a good thing).  I
actually enjoy the howling, they don't do it for too long and as long as
it's before 10:00 PM nobody cares.  (Bax and Bunny go to bed early.)

Holly and Bea are not howlers.  Holly talks to me, especially if I'm not
behaving up to her standards, but no howling ever.  Bea is the silent one,
she never barks or whines or anything, except when someone rings the
doorbell, then she goes into Cujo mode.  But otherwise, totally silent.
Except this last week, when Bax and Bunny howled, Bea has been whimpering a
tiny bit and staring at me.  Well guess what - this evening when a siren
went by after Trick or Treat time, Bax started howling, Bunny chimed in, and
then I heard a new sound, looked over towards Holly and Bea, and it was
Sister Bea howling, too.  So funny.  It appears Bax and Bunny have taught
Bea to howl.

Anita Woodrum

awoodrum at clear.net