[Dailydrool] Riche - Old dog not eating

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Thu Sep 5 18:45:17 PDT 2013

In my experience with old dogs (and I have had 10+) there may be several
causes for her not eating. Right now I have 3 dogs who are 12 - 14 years old
and are on the "whatever you want" diet.
Old dogs' sense of smell diminishes and dogs, especially bassets, are
motivated by their sense of smell.  To address this, try some foods that are
really smelly.  Liverwurst is a favorite around here, as is tuna, tripe
(yuck), liver (in moderation), white fish, salami (yeah I know it is bad)
and parmesan cheese.
Eating and chewing tend to get more difficult with age, so all of my old
dogs prefer moistened food, preferably moisten with chicken or beef broth.
I cook a big pot of soup each week as "topper" of all of my dogs foods.  The
old guys LOVE this.  I use 2 pounds of meat (your choice ... sometimes I use
leftovers and a combination of meats), barley/rice/quinoa/or pasta, and
veggies (carrots, peas and greenbeans).
Finally, not eating begets more not eating.  I have found that oatmeal,
Ensure, a spoon of honey and a dash of cinnamon will entice most to eat a
bit.  I also offer scrambled eggs with bacon or ham bits and cheese.
Multiple small meals ... every 3 - 4 hours may also help and entice her
appetite.
Hope this helps ... but at that age, cheeseburgers and ice cream sundaes
from McDonald's I would give it to them.

Sandi Wittenberg
Red Bay Bassets