[Dailydrool] Rocky & Maddie

Ellen Cole erc2761 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 05:57:36 PDT 2013

If the problem was just during meals, I'd not only separate them but I'd
barricade that separation. When Oliver was sick, he got more food than the
girls because the cancer was causing him to lose so much weight. The girls
would finish theirs and then start toward him to try to get what he hadn't
yet eaten. His eating spot was in a corner of the kitchen, so I took two of
the three crates and put them at a 90 degree angle to each other and boxed
him in. Depending on where Rocky eats, I'm sure there's some way to protect
him...either by closing a door or putting one of them in a crate or by
using some other physical barrier.

The fact that this has now escalated to not just include food is troubling.
Clearly you can't trust her to behave properly and you don't want Rocky to
pay the price. Others may have a better idea, but I think it may be time to
keep them separate all the time...in different areas of the house...or
Rocky could have a his own area...like 2-3 X-Pens linked together to
surround him. If Maddie isn't acting out with people or other animals, but
just poor Rocky...I'm thinking he needs to be given a peaceful spot to live
out his days where she can't get at him. That way he's safe and she doesn't
have to be muzzled all the time.

Ellen & Miss Magnolia & Gracie Lou FlatBasset with Abigail & Oliver
awaiting us ATB