[Dailydrool] Barney's gotcha day

Ron Buries rburies at verizon.net
Fri Sep 20 23:14:45 PDT 2013

Today 9/21/13 is Barney’s gotcha day. 11 years ago I was visiting my Dad in the central valley when I noticed my two nice’s  reading the paper. For some unknown reason I asked for them to look for a basset hound for unc. I didn’t know they were looking for a basset hound for their grandmas! I had no choice but to go hound hunting with the girls and their dad. We traveled 50 miles to a back yard breeder who had 24 puppies for sale. Didn’t know about bybdr’s then. I probably picked up every pup at least once, but one stood out. A little red and white with long ears that looked just like my first basset who’s name was..Bass. I had called my wife and told her I was bringing a basset puppy home. She said make sure it was a female. Can’t remember  how many times I picked up that little red and white pup, But finally I picked him up one more time and said buddy you and I are in trouble. And for the past 11 years we have shared the dog house many a night until mom cooled down from our antics. Barney is pure spoiled rotten basset. He is a counter and table surfing , food stealing happy go lucky guy that loves every body he encounters. I remember reading on the drool that the basset was hard to house train. I guess we were fortunate, because he was house broken in about 6 weeks. Barney hasn't  had an accident in the house since. Barney has brought so much joy to my life I can’t imagine how the last 11 years would have been with out him. We are joined at the hip. Health wise we have had a few issues. He had surgery on his left leg at 1 year old to repair his fibula which growing faster than the tibia causing pain in his left leg. Other than allergies and his ulcerated tummy I wrote the drool about recently he has been very healthy for which I am very grateful. So again happy gotcha day to my favorite hound dog. May we have many more walks, more rides and just loving and cuddles in our future.

Ron &  Barney