[Dailydrool] Basset Proof flooring

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 17:46:15 PDT 2013

I have sealed birch hardwood floors on most of the downstairs.  The
bathroom and dog's bedroom are in a pergo type flooring (originally carpet
and totally useless).  I LOVE the pergo type flooring.  It is only a year
and a half old.  So I am not sure how it is going to hold up over the
extremely long run.  It is just so easy to clean and it always looks great.
 I love that there are very small seams in it.  The real hardwood floor was
put in the house in 1985 when the house was built.  We bought the house in
1996 and we have had to refinish the floors once.  The breakfast nook needs
it again, but it gets a LOT of traffic and sun, but it is a major pain.
It hold up to pee moderately well.  I think it would do better if it wasn't
an old fashion peg and plank floor with huge gaps between boards.  It is
NOT fun to dig vomit or explosive diarrhea out of the cracks.
 Unfortunately, I am the only one in the house with the stomach to handle
that and sometimes I amaze myself at my ability to do this.  I hate the
carpet. It will all be gone by the end of the year.  I have found that the
hard wood is not that hard to walk on and I have had several seniors.  The
one with the most trouble adapted to wearing socks with tread quite
readily.  Since at that point, he wasn't exactly in the mood to wrestle in
the backyard, it worked well.  He was one that got half in and half out the
door and peed in the house.  Sometimes I was lucky and he did that at the
edge of the deck.  But, he wasn't tearing around outside in socks.  I think
that would be a real problem.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey and Browyn the Fairy Princess (I haven't
slid across the floor, but I have slid clear across the deck!  It scared
the parentals)