[Dailydrool] Einstein

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Thu Sep 12 19:59:06 PDT 2013

Nancy:
I am so sorry about the news that Einstein will lose his sight. Even when you know it's coming and think you are ready for it, it is a big shock. It will be harder for you than for him.

I am sure Einstein will be fine without sight, but you will notice a difference when that happens. Dexter was nearly sightless before he lost the second eye to glaucoma, but I noticed a bit difference after he lost the eye. He seemed very lost for a while, but with the training I did with him (what it sounds as if you're doing now), it was not long before he had really mapped the house and his usual walk. Now you would never know he's blind if you didn't look at his face and see the missing eyes.

If you don't have a copy of LIVING WITH BLIND DOGS, by Caroline D. Levin, you may want to invest in it now.

Bassets do so well because of their terrific noses. He will still be your best boy, with sight or without it. I have never been sorry we adopted Dexter, though we knew he'd be blind one day.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets