[Dailydrool] Morse syndrome

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Wed Apr 23 15:26:37 PDT 2014

I hope it turns out Morse has nothing really, really wrong as
Sydney-Basset suddenly developed almost exactly the same symptoms.
Panting, won't eat. This is a dog who never felt we fed her enough (her
appearance says otherwise). Won't even take a biscuit!!! Turns nose away
in disgust.

The vet could find nothing other than she was a little dehydrated. They
kept her overnight and gave fluids. She was not happy about this. She's
back home and still won't eat more than a bite or two. Vet (a new one
and I do mean NEW -- fresh out of vet school, as our reg is on vacation)
did not bother to call to report any test results and they aren't open
today. Maybe we'll find out something tomorrow. None of the other dogs
show similar symptoms. I wondered if it could have been a reaction to
her rabies shot, but vet said no. Had mouth checked, teeth & gums okay
-- or so vet said. Personally, I think there's something odd about the
way she takes the rare something we can actually get her to accept (a
small piece of toast or a soft Pupperoni). Sorta tosses it around in her
mouth the way one does when a tooth is sore. Other than that, she acts
normally except for sleeping excessively. Does not exhibit any signs of
being in pain. Does not vomit and does not have diarrhea. Drinks normal
amount of water. Is alert and tail-waggy when awake. She is 10 or 11
years old. Normally a foodaholic.

Bothered and bewildered Riche