[Dailydrool] Abner the new hound in the house.

mr knoll rescuebassetmolly at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 23:12:26 PDT 2014

A little while back i posted that Molly Bob had been diagnosed with cancer.
For some reason it showed up several days later, shortly before she made her journey to the Bridge. I miss her terribly.
Surprisingly, not a whole long time after her passing, another beautiful basset came into our lives. Abner is a (mix, between a lemon and white and a red and white) depending on where you look at him. He loves me, I know he loves my husband but he has an issue with trusting my husband. On moment he will walk up to him to be petted and take a treat then the nest he will turn around and bark at him, {first note, this took place when I was not at home} Hubby said that went on almost the entire 3 hours I was gone. He got frustated and gave up, He said he did not get angry or raise his voice, he just locked the gates and left Abner out in the yard. this breaks my heart because, I know my husband really wants to be around him, wants to see Abner enjoy life, even when I am NOT home.
I really need some help, anyone have any ideas on what we can do. Right now I have him treating Abner every time he approaches hubby. problem is, when he does approach hubby, sometimes he barely gets close enough to even take the treat. He walk past and almost seems like he rolls his eyes at Hubby,
Plus he is very, very nervous about the odd bangs and clangs that come from the bathroom when hubby is in there. Please If you have any ideas, any at all, I am desperate. Unfortunately, I do not know how into him my husband will be now, the negativity he dealt with for the three hours I was not home, really broke my husband's spirit. Hubby has a hard time with dogs to start with [he was bit by a GSD], if it is showing anything that he might see as aggression, put fear in him I think, [which he won't admit] he just wants to give up on the dog. but he is a very gentle soul, all my dogs have loved him I know Abner wants to too. he just does not know how.
No one admits it But I am sure he was abused some how, he is a voracious eater, I bought him a slobowl. it seems to help.
PLEASE HELP
Martha and Abner