[Dailydrool] Update from the farm

Michele S. wickedfoxybear at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 5 10:27:36 PDT 2014

hello Drool family! Things have been busy here at the farm with...well farm work.  Caring for the hounds, the cows, the garden, keeping the pool cleaned and the yard mowed. But we still love it out here, even with all of the work that comes with it. As most of you know Colt crossed over the Rainbow Bridge just before Father's Day. I still miss that furry rhinoceros something awful.  But, on 2 July my Dad and I drove to Cincinnati, Ohio to meet, greet and ended up adopting Xander. Thank you again Ohio Basset Rescue! Ruger and Xander are getting along very well. Xander has adjusted to farm life amazingly well. He became a mommas boy very quickly....he loves being snuggled and loved on.  He hates not being by my side or at least have me within his eye sight. He now accepts the fact that I have to sometimes leave him (to go feed cows, mow or even go shopping or to doc appointments)  He gets so excited when I come home that sometimes I think that he will spontaneously explode!  LOL.  We were having a little issue with him potting in the house...especially after just coming back in from potting.  I finally figured out that I had to take him out immediately after getting up in the morning (which is the norm here for both dogs) but I have to take him out again within about 10 minutes of eating breakfast or supper.  And I have to take him out immediately after I return home from running errands...and take him out again 10-15 minutes after he has time to settle down from the excitement of me returning home. His nose is never off.  The boy missed his calling of being a drug, or other contraband search dog.  Honestly he would have been a perfect hound to work the airport to look for folks bringing in illegal foods. I can't open any food anywhere without his nose going up and sniffing the air and finding the food immediately. He is also an accomplished counter cruiser. Which is something that I am not used to because Colt and Ruger very rarely ever did that. I think I can count their food thefts on one hand. So even I am being trained here. Xander has put a little weight on.  he is still very slender, but you can't easily see his rib cage. He no longer looks like a basset skeleton in a tight fitting fur coat. He and Ruger love their walks around the farm to go visit the calves, and to sniff and track what ever has went through the yard recently.

Heart healing drool to all of those whose hounds have made their journey to the bridge.  We were especially sad to read that Bev's Nigel crossed over.  I'm sure that Ms. Debbie, Colt, Commander Bo, Elder Clara and a whole pack of other hounds were there to greet all of the new arrivals. Healing drool to all of the hounds and humans that are sick or injured.   We love all of you!

Michele, Ruger, Xander at Howling Hound Acres and Colt ATB
Women are Angels...And when someone breaks their wings..They simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...They are flexible like that...