[Dailydrool] Biscuit Happy Gotcha Day

Jaime Brigance brigancehappy at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 5 19:25:19 PDT 2014

Hi everyone;

Weds. August 6th is my baby Biscuit's 6th birthday!!

I cannot believe it, it was just last week....really.

Somebody write me and tell explain in great detail how to slow down time!  Wow, how it flies......

Biscuit is the only basset puppy we've ever had, everyone else was a rescue.  My friend Roger called me up one day and told me to "go pick out your puppy, all paid for."  I told him I did not want a puppy, that they are little war machines, and that I don't want to participate in "breeder's activities."

He said it was a great breeder (long term, very loving) and that this was a gift to my family and I.  So, we went and we looked at about 11 puppies!  Oh, what fun.  And I remember the smile on my youngest daughter's face when she held Biscuit on the way home in the car.

His first few months were fun fun fun....he ate half a memory foam mattress...no joke.  It made him sick, but he kept on with it until ruining the bed....it looked like a dinosaur had ate a giant bite out of it when we moved.

He climbed up and down the carpeted stairs all the time, it was like those stairs were put there for his own enjoyment.

And we still called him Geoffrey Biscuit, we finally dropped the Geoffrey and stayed with Biscuit.

Now, he's got white appearing on his face and I jokingly called him "ole man Biscuit" last week and it made me cry!! He is waaaayy too young to be old.

Our lives changed just 3 months later....and we moved to the Oregon Coast for a year, and he loved the beach and even pretended to like the extra rain.  Then on to Reno for Lupus drug trials, then back to Oregon, then eventually to South Carolina and now North Carolina.  WOW!  This guy is traveled.

The new year will take us to Denver, Colorado for a work internship with the VA from my school.  Never been to Denver, all I know is what John Denver used to sing and what I watched on the muppets with him!  My Great Grandma used to say that the skies there were like fireworks.  I remember watching Johnny Carson one night with her and John Denver sang "Rocky Mountain High" and I fell in love with the idea.  Now, the "high" part means something else, but not to me.  Just those gorgeous mountains.

The first houndie that I ever had was Nellie.  Found her while visiting my son in Jacksonville, FL in 2000.  Forever thanks to Suncoast Basset Rescue for making my dreams come true!  Always wanted a Basset, but never wanted a puppy, so when I saw her face and read her story, I cried and wanted to love her.  Precious healing broken bones and all.

There are still moments where I feel guilt that I was not able to love Biscuit with the depth of emotion that I did Nellie.  It's like she was my first love, and when she left me on Feb. 15th, 2009, she took a chunk of my heart with her.
Biscuit forgives me, and tells me now is all that matters, he is amazing.  And a rather smart fellow too!

so, we celebrate!! and we drool for all in need of drool : ))))

love, Jaime, Jessica and Biscuit
all our past Houndies we have loved
Nellie, Ruby, Quigley, Prince, Seymour & Clyde
and all our now gone on kitties