[Dailydrool] So you want a rescued dog eh?

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 2 20:22:04 PST 2014

ok, ok, maybe I'm channeling my mother but I saw a post on facebook today and it shook me to the core.

Let me tell you something about rescue.  Generally speaking, rescues don't take in "sweet, healthy, completely housebroken purebred basset hounds under one year of age."

Generally speaking, we take in and foster some pretty rough looking dogs.  Nails grown into their pads.  Half their hair fallen out.  Skin infections and stinking ears and fear of people and other dogs and everything that moves or makes a sounds.  And usually 6-8 years of age.  We open our hearts and our homes to these dogs because they deserve this.  We silently clean up their messes, we hold their stinking bodies in our arms and our hearts.  We hsnd feed them and we pray for them and we mix out tears into their fur and sometimes we gain their trust and their respect and they show us what awesome dogs they are (and always were).  Sometimes we fail (and keep them) and sometimes we let them go to that perfect home.  I've done both.   If you want a rescued dog then THIS is what you are asking for.  And please understand how much emotion the foster parent has in loving/training/fostering this dog.

When I walk my dogs down the street people invariably tell me "wow, you have such luck.  How in the world did you find such gorgeous, well trained dogs at the pound."  Well guess what, I didn't.  I did not find a gorgeous well manored dog in a perfect sit at the pound.  i found a wreched, tortured soul sitting in it's own filth.  And I worked my butt off to gain the dog's respect and return the dog to health and here s/he stands before you in all their glory.

And now here you are complaining that you have been on the waiting list at a rescue FOREVER when all you want is a calm, friendly, gentle, completely housebroken purebred basset under a year old.  Oh, and female.  As if there were such a thing.  And if there were are you saying all you want is for someone to raise and train and screen out all health and behavior issues and then turn the dog over to you?  Really??????  I am that foster mother on the other end and I have a problem with that.

ok, ok, rant over.  Give me a break.

--Dale