[Dailydrool] rescue dog thread and a note about hospice

jacquelynn chazey aerogator27 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 4 18:03:39 PST 2014

Pumpkin is my rescue girl who came to our family after my beloved Fred passed in the ancient year of 2000, and with his passing, I barely was able to get out of bed, except to go to work, and then Mom insisted I drive her to North Shore Animal League, and by chance this tiny puppy basset girl was there.
Mom and Dad (the veterinarian, and shucks, I was supposed to be one, but at least I can spell it)  were experienced at raising puppies, so I guess this was my chance to learn, and Pumpkin was a tiny monster, in a good way.  Pumpkin was good for Dad, as he was very ill, and she was the only dog in the house as he was failing.  I am grateful he had canine company in his last days  and they had an almost year together, and it was a great bond for them.
Baby Pumpkin had her wits about her, and I used to sit in the living room floor, during play time, making sure I had a large stuffed toy in front of me when she wanted to go all teethy.  And she was a picky eater.
I suppose the teething stage is why so many go into rescue and/or are neglected or abused, which may well have been the fate of my Pierre Jr. who came to me at 9 mo., after being in a family situation with young children, and it was not compatible.
How they corrected him, I will never know, but I know now, he knows love, and play and kisses and love, and he is my constant side kick, and I am blessed he is my life.
I am always humble and thankful to his foster mom, Kathie M.,  and Ohio Basset rescue, his rescue organization.
BTW, Pumpkin is 13 and a half, and just survived a splenectomy operation, and is trucking on… You go girl… you are solid.
As for Hospice, and I direct this to thoughts about Debbie.
Mom is my life, and she is in hospice home care, out of the nursing home, and it has improved her being so much.  I am her primary care giver, and with the hospice help, I know she is getting the best she can get.
It is wonderful for the patient.
All is caring and giving.
Family support is given relief.
It is gentle.
AND IT IS REVERSIBLE, MEANING, I SURE HOPE YOU FIND YOUR FIGHT DEBBIE, GOD BLESS YOU.
And it can be managed with a lot of bassets in the house…
"Don't stop believing" is a great sentence, especially for Debbie.
Healing drool to all in need,
Jackie and the bassets