[Dailydrool] Call me Crazy

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 03:32:29 PST 2014

Ok well... here's the deal.
Yesterday one of the dogs said something to me and I understood it
perfectly and I answered the dog and he went off wagging his tail and was
fine.

I am not used to having the dogs actually SPEAK to me. I mean it has
happened maybe 3 or 4 times before, not with this dog but with Zelda and
Mr. Cooper sir, and Mitchell.

This was notaBasset so you know right away who it was and while the dogs do
not speak aloud there is no question in my mind who it is that I am hearing.

I had been training Mitchell (this is not right: he trained me) to track
and we went to the Nationals one yr and I entered the TD test. He was
impeccable. He was accurate, fast and thorough. At one point we descended a
hill into a small, watery ditch. He seemed to be right on track (no pun
intended) giving all the signs-- nose down, tail up, pulling-- but it was
watery and I said aloud
"Mitchell: are you SURE?"
In tracking, you never doubt your dog. NEVER. And this is all true. He
stopped dead. He turned and looked at me. And he said "Are you kidding? Yes
it's right." and he went back to tracking and he was right, of course.
His tone was not angry but aggrieved. "After all this, how could she doubt
my ability to do this?" was what he conveyed.

Zelda, before we knew she had this weird cancer in her head told me one day
her head hurt. That's all: "Head hurts" she said.

So a number of weeks ago Doc went to the Gallery with me and before I could
react he had done the unthinkable and lifted his leg on  a corner where
there was a painting. He missed most of the painting, which we cleaned off.
But I really read him the riot act and it was a while before I trusted him
in there again, and I still watch. So for several weeks he was quiet and
subdued altho he is a nut case for Pat, who is usually there. (She being an
animal magnet).

Yesterday as I was re-arranging my table I had noticed that Doc was
especially bouncey and happy and grinning a lot, more than usual. He came
over and sat, watching me. I looked at him. And he said "I was afraid you
might not let me keep coming here with you." And without thinking I said
"Of course you may!" and he wagged his tail and wandered off.

I have no communication skills with these dogs. If I did I would figure out
why they act the way they do at shows.
But I swear to you this happened. Not out loud. Just there in my head was
the voice. And the really weird thing is, It doesn't even surprise me
anymore.

MomPerson in Training to Nigel, Llewis, Conley & Doc